North Rosedale School 

Picture from Rosemary Rafuse via Lloyd Varner


Year: 1939/40   Grade:  

Contributor: Lloyd Varner

The senior boys at North Rosedale School, New Germany, Class of 1939/40. It was taken in front of the Girls' Entrance of North

Back Row (left to right)- Brewster Mosher, Gerald Varner, Carlyle Kenny, Beverley Hamm, Walter Palmer, John Hamm, Blake Robar

Front Row (left to right) - Howard Langille, Paige Palmer, Kenneth Lantz, Gordon Lade, Hector Powers, Bliss Mosher

Reference from South Shore Genealogical Society


1957 as reported in the Bridgewater Bulletin:

North Rosedale School also re-opened September 4th. with an enrollment 109 pupils.  Mrs. Mary Judge is Principal of this school with Mrs. Beatrice Taylor and Mrs. Merna Freeman, staff members.


Looking Back by Carol Wile March 25, 2008. (Bridgewater Bulletin)

Also, from our files dated March 11, 1959 Students home from the Nova Scotia Normal College are Rosemary Penney, John Feindel, Harold Langille and Wilfred Morley. For the next three weeks Rosemary will spend her Provincial Practice Teaching period in Grade V and VI class at the North Rosedale School with Mrs. Mary Judge; John, Harold and Wilfred will be at the New Germany Rural High School, each spending one week with Miss Diana Cleaton, Mrs. Pauline Veinot and Mr. Percy Hupman. 


1959 Staff

North Rosedale School opened on Sept. 8 with the following teachers.

Mrs. Beatrice Taylor, Primary and grade 1: Miss Sandra Nauss, Grade 2 and 3; Mr. John Feindel, grade 4 and 5;

 Mrs. Mary Judge (Principal) grade 6, enrollment 111.


From the Bridgewater Bulletin 1988:


The history given at the school reunion in 1988.

NORTH ROSEDALE SCHOOL
HISTORY

The first school in New Germany was built just
prior to 1870 on the bank of the LaHave River
just below Zwickers' box factory. In 1883 two districts,
North and South Rosedale were formed,
each having their own school. In 1923, a two
room school was built at North Rosedale at a cost
of $4,844.00 to replace the one room school.
Later two more rooms were added to accommodate
the growing number of students.
In 1954, after a new high school was built, the
North Rosedale school only served elementary
students. In 1964 the elementary students were
relocated and the North Rosedale school was
sold to Fielding and Wynn Hardware as a warehouse
and this is as it stands today.

"Thank You For Coming".
Have a safe journey home
and God bless.

 


 Murray Fletcher Ward


WARD: Murray Fletcher, 91, of New Germany, passed away peacefully December 17, 2002, in Valley Regional Hospital, Kentville. Born in Coldbrook, Kings Co., on October 27, 1911, he was a son of the late Avery and Blanche (Brennan) Ward. Murray attended the Coldbrook Village School and Kings County Academy, graduating in 1929. He obtained his teaching licence in July 1930 from the Nova Scotia Normal College. His teaching career took him to the communities of Medford, Kings Co., Torbrook Mines, East Clarence, Annapolis Co., Centreville, Digby Co., Hemford and New Germany of Lunenburg Co. Murray proudly served his country in the RCAF and RAF from 1941 - 1945 as a Radar Officer. He achieved the rank of Flight Lieutenant. From 1942 - 1944 he was Commanding Officer of RAF Station Clee Hill, Shropshire, England.
Following the Second World War, he resumed Principalship of North Rosedale School in New Germany. From 1955 - 1957, he attended Acadia University, receiving a B.Sc. (Honours) degree. Murray returned to teaching in the New Germany Rural High School in 1957, while continuing his University studies. In 1961, he received a M.Sc. in Mathematics from Acadia University. From 1958 - 1971 he led New Germany Schools as Principal, Supervisor and Supervisor of Area Schools.
Murray loved the outdoors and was an avid fisherman, hunter, snowmobiler and gardener.
As well as these recreational activities, he spent time in many community leadership roles. He served as the first president of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 102, member and past treasurer of St. John in the Wilderness Anglican Church, active member and past Director of the New Germany and Area Medical Centre, president of the National Campers and Hikers Association, Chairman of the High School Mathematics Curriculum Committee, president of the Lunenburg Local of the Nova Scotia Teachers' Union, Honorary member of New Germany Fire Dept. and life member of the Dawson Memorial Hospital Foundation.
Murray was recognized with many awards and medals, and was a recipient of the 1967 Centennial Medal as well as the Royal Canadian Legion Meritorious Service Award.
Surviving are his wife of 61 years, the former Margaret Dorothy Tipert; sons Wendell (Mary), Ottawa; Daryl (Susan), Falkland Ridge; sister Onabel Norton; and grandchildren Sandra McPhee, Bruce, Amanda, Carolyn and Beverly. He was predeceased by brothers Peary, Ackman, Borden and Laurie.
The service for Murray Fletcher Ward was conducted at St. John in the Wilderness Anglican Church by Rev. Catherine Robar, assisted by Janet Tipert. Hymns sung were Shall We Gather at the River and 'Till We Meet Again. The choir sang the twenty-third psalm. Lana Veinotte was the organist. A scripture was read by Steward Purdy. A tribute to her grandfather was presented by Carolyn Ward. The pallbearers were grandson Bruce, and nephews of Murray. Cremation followed the funeral, and a private interment service will be held at a later date. Funeral arrangements were under the direction of Adam Tipert, Sweeny's Funeral Home, New Germany. Donations in memory may be made to the New Germany and Area Medical Centre or the St. John in the Wilderness Anglican Church, New Germany.
Thank you for all the Cards of Condolences and other acts of kindness. It is very comforting that many people care, and showed their support for the Ward family.

Return to Obituaries Page


Return to History of New Germany main page