This church was organized April 14, 1842, with twelve members and a church was erected that same year, (in the time of Rev. Thomas Delong). The church which was standing during the period from 1870 to 1895 was built in the year 1860. Pastors have been : Rev. Nathaniel Viditoe, Thomas Delong, W. H. Caldwell, Robert Morton, Bennett Taylor, W. E. Hall, M. W. Brown, W. P. Anderson, and G. P. Raymond; B. A. Licentiates were: Messrs. Enoch Sweet, Bidglow, Neewcombe and L. M. Weeks.
The Baptists of New Germany held their Jubilee September 21, 1892. From statistics submitted at this Jubliee, it was shown that the Lunenburg Baptist Church was organized at North-West, and that this and the Chester Church are to be regarded as the parents of all other Baptist Churches in the county. District churches, with their dates of organization follow below:
NEW ROSS 1831
CHELSEA ...1835(reorganized 1853)
BRIDGEWATER ..1835(reorganized 1848)
NEW GERMANY ..1842
DAYSPRING (LAHAVE) . ..1853
NEW CORNWALL .1856
LUNENBURG TOWN CHURCH ..1885
In 1891, the Baptist population was 5584, grown from a 1600 in 1811. Among those at the Jubilee was Mrs. John Mader, known as Gradma Mader. She was born in 1802, and was baptized at North-West in 1825.
The following are part of lines written by Mr. Witman Morton, the first Baptist Settler in New Germany. They were read at the Baptist Jubilee.
In the history of Germany
Some fifty years ago,
A little band joined heart and hand
To frame a Church below.
They met in private dwelling-house
And there with prayer and song,
The little Church was organized
By Elder T. Delong.
Though fifty years have come and gone,
And many heads laid low,
The little band is stronger now
Than fifty years ago.
May Heavens Blessing on it rest
Though many go and come;
And may the band be stronger still
In fifty years to come.
Rev. William H. Caldwall was the first person to be buried in the new cemetery. Rev. William E. Hall was the first Baptist Minister ordained in New Germany.
Return to History of New Germany main page